Wednesday, January 23, 2013

two years, two months, two weeks

Dear Zac,


You and I spend a lot of time apart. I go to work 6 days a week. 5 of those days you go to school and one day you are home with daddy. A babysitter picks you up from school once or twice a week, daddy picks you up on Tuesdays, Tata's picks you up on Wednesdays and sometimes I am able to pick you up on Thursdays or Friday. While you love going to school every day, and often ask to go to school on the weekends or holidays, it breaks my heart to have to say good-bye to you every day. I have an especially hard time on Tuesday mornings when I leave you and daddy on the corner and I go to work, for 13 hours, and don't get home until you are already asleep. On those days, you and I see each other on Skype for a few minutes when I am between classes.

Although you have so much fun at school, I think you do miss spending time with me. Tonight, you had a hard time settling down for bed. Almost immediately after I walked in the door at 6, you were a wild little boy. You insisted I give you your bath and, when it was time to say good night, you cried and cried until I came and sat next you and rubbed your back. We talked for 10 minutes about your day and about what you will do tomorrow. I promised you I would pick you up from school and we would have the afternoon together (now I just have to get out of that faculty meeting!). I'm looking forward to trains and tunnels and bridges and play-doh and cars and books and dancing and songs and snacks and anything else you want to do.

I promise to do what needs to be done in order for me to able to spend more time with you. I'm working on it.

I am so happy you are so verbal. At only 26.5 months you talk about everything and everyone. I love that you can tell me about your days. What you did at school, who your friends are, what you ate, what you saw.  Since I can't be there to experience all you do with you, I am grateful that you can and do tell me all about your little life.

I hope you will always, even 30 years from now, want to tell me about your day.

I love you,
Mommy




No comments:

Post a Comment